Different Teeth Whitening Methods
What makes a smile truly attractive? Certainly, healthy teeth and gums top the list. Beyond, you want straight alignment, no gaps, and realistic restorations. The final component is tooth color. In fact, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that most Americans would change their tooth color--brighten it--if they could. The good news is that your Albany, NY family dentists, Dr. Robert Santoro, Dr. Champaka Lakshmi and Dr. Gila Beer at Rose Dental Associates, offer professional teeth whitening that completes the look their patients really desire.
You can purchase an amazing variety of whitening toothpastes, strips, rinses and more at your local drugstore, shopping mall or big box store. Almost all products contain varying amounts of carbamide or hydrogen peroxide. Trays and strips which apply the bleaching agent directly to teeth are the very popular.
Despite their popularity, certain problems come with unsupervised whitening methods. For example:
- Whitening trays are not customized to fit your exact dentition, and gel can spill on sensitive gums and lips
- Rinses allow very brief contact between your teeth and the active whitening ingredient
- Over the counter products require weeks to change tooth color
- You really don't know if your teeth and gums are healthy enough for whitening unless your Albany family dentist examines them
All in all, professionally supervised whitening offers many more benefits and none of the risks of do-it-yourself products.
Professional teeth whitening
At Rose Dental Associates, your Albany family dentist gives patients with healthy teeth and gums (no decay, numerous restorations or periodontitis) two wonderful ways to achieve that dazzling, bright smile:
- At-home whitening, accomplished with daily application of concentrated hydrogen peroxide gel via custom-made acrylic trays
- In-office whitening, done right at the office in about an hour
Whichever method you choose, rest assured that your cosmetic treatment is safe, effective and professionally monitored. Patients also remark that the change in color is so dramatic (up to eight shades) that they wish they had opted for the treatment long ago. Lastly, professional teeth whitening is an economical enhancement when compared to porcelain veneers, direct bonding or other aesthetic services.
Keeping a smile bright
Poor oral hygiene, cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, dark foods and beverages and the simple passage of time create dental stains and an overall dull and dingy appearance. Once your smile is whitened, you can maintain its bright look by:
- Avoiding tobacco completely
- Brushing twice a day and flossing daily as the American Dental Association recommends
- Getting semi-annual cleanings and check-ups at Rose Dental Associates
- Limiting foods and drinks which stain enamel (soy sauce, blueberries, coffee, black tea, colas, acidic foods)
- Keeping tooth surfaces clean by drinking plenty of water each day
- Getting occasional whitening touch-ups as needed
Find out more
If you have good oral health, chances are whitening could enhance your smile. To see if you qualify, contact Rose Dental Associates in Albany, NY for a cosmetic dentistry consultation with Dr. Santoro, Dr. Lakshmi or Dr. Beer. Call today: (518) 456-7673.